When I think of a refreshing cocktail, I immediately think of cucumbers, lemon, ice. Native to India, cucumbers were brought to New Spain post-conquest. This Old World squash is high in moisture and I prefer the English variety for cocktails as the sugar content tends to be higher, meaning a sweeter cocktail without additives. Leave the skin on the cucumber, it will add a lovely green hue to the drink.
- 5 inch piece of English cucumber, cut into cubes
- 3 ounces lime juice
- 1.5 ounces lemon juice
- 1.5 ounces agave nectar
- 4 ounces Casamigos Mezcal
- 10 Chili pequin or 3 chili de arbol toasted on a comal until fragrant OR Tajin spice
- crushed ice
- Add the cucumber, lime juice, lemon juice, and agave nectar to a blender and blend thoroughly for 3 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
- Pour the mezcal and cucumber mixture into a shaker and shake.
- Squeeze lime juice onto a plate, dip the glass rim into the lime juice and then the chili powder to rim the edge.
- Add crushed ice to the glass and pour the cucumber mixture over and serve. Garish with another slice of cucumber.