Happy Pride! It's a good year to be gay and orgulloso! This cocktail is my interpretation of a refreshing Pride after a long day in the sun. With the Morris Kitchen Ginger syrup and the Los Amantes (the lovers in Spanish) this cocktail follows the tradition of the mezcal mule, but with pineapple to make you sweeter. The comal roasted pineapple and spicy ginger dance on the palette, invoking the subtle smoke in the mezcal.
Makes one cocktail
- Pineapple, sliced in 1 inch thick rings, rind on
- 2 teaspoons Morris Kitchen Ginger Syrup
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces Los Amantes Mezcal Joven
- splash of seltzer water
- candied ginger and pineapple leaf as garnish
- On a comal over medium high heat, roast the pineapple slices until black and charred. Cut away the rind and core, and blend with 2 ounces of water for 3 minutes, alternating between high and low speeds. Filter the juice through a fine mesh stainer to remove the pulp.
- Add crushed ice to a shaker and add ginger syrup, 4 ounces of roasted pineapple juice, lime juice, mezcal. Shake thoroughly.
- Pour into a glass and top with a splash of seltzer. Garnish with candied ginger and pineapple leaf.